|Summer Chambers died from dehydration and starvation (Picture: Facebook)|
A baby starved to death after both of her parents died from an alleged heroin overdose in their own home. Summer Chambers managed to survive for three to four days after her parents died within just minutes of one another.
She later passed away after succumbing to dehydration and starvation.
Her body was discovered in her bassinet by family friend, James Grant, who broke in to the home in Johnston, Pennsylvania, after not hearing from the family for several days. He also found the bodies of parents, Jason Chambers, 29, in the living room and Chelsea Cardaro, 19, in a bathroom.
|Jason Chambers and Chelsea Cardaro had been dead for about a week when their bodies were found (Picture: Facebook)|
|Toxicology tests are still pending for the adults (Picture: Facebook)|
|Neighbors believed the family was out of town when they didn’t see them for a week (Picture: WJAC)|
Speaking to WJAC-TV, he said: ‘It was hard going in there and being the one to see them like that. It still doesn’t kind of seem real. ‘I knew there was problems I just didn’t expect it to hit this quick, and to end this way. At most, I though some legal trouble, but they didn’t deserve to die.’
Although the overdoses cannot be confirmed until toxicology test results come back, authorities believe the couple died within minutes of each other.
Speaking to the Tribune Democrat, Kelly Callihan, Cambria County District Attorney, said that she believed if either of the parents was aware the other had overdosed, they would have called for help.
She said: ‘Although it is not confirmed, there was evidence of drugs at the scene.’ Johnson Police Captain Chad Miller said: ‘It’s an unfortunate incident where they both possibly overdosed at the same time.’