PICTURED: Dentist Drops This 3cm-Long File Down Patient’s Throat During Root Canal Surgery

Vanessa Snary suffered a punctured stomach after her dentist dropped a dental file down her throat (Picture: SWNS)
A dentist dropped a 3cm-long spike down a woman’s throat during root canal surgery. Vanessa Snary, 29, was under anaesthetic to numb her mouth so didn’t feel the sharp pin file drop into her mouth while she was in the dentists’ chair.

She started to choke as it slipped down her throat but claimed dentist Dr Ester Torrejimeno didn’t call 999 and insisted on driving her to hospital herself. She was rushed into emergency surgery when X-rays revealed the tool had pierced her insides and lodged in her upper stomach.

Vanessa was left with injuries to her stomach and voice box and unable to speak for nearly a week, and claims she lost her job due to time off.
The dental file which Vanessa Snary swallowed (Picture: SWNS)
She is now faced with the prospect of more root canal treatment to finish the work started by the dentist in Fishponds, Bristol. Shaken Vanessa, who says the accident happened after she wasn’t offered a mouth guard, said: ‘I didn’t really feel it hit the back of my throat.

‘The dental file was knocked out of my mouth and I started to choke. I realised I was choking on something. It happened very quickly. It was extremely frightening – I didn’t know what I had swallowed. ‘Five or six members of staff were called into the room – dental nurses, dentists, reception staff. They just watched me choke on it and no ambulance was called.’

Vanessa, a former helpdesk manager, said the nightmare happened on November 8 when she went to Smile Pad’s Oldbury Court Dental Centre for routine treatment.
SmilePad dentists at Oldbury Court in Bristol (Picture: SWNS)
She said she urged staff to call 999 but instead they told her to wait downstairs before Dr Torrejimeno drove her the 25-minute journey to Southmead Hospital. Doctors administered a cocktail of drugs to ease the pain before performing surgery the following day to remove the file which she claims perforated her insides.

Vanessa’s ordeal was so shocking she said experts from wards across the hospital visited her room in curiosity. She added: ‘It’s not something they had come across before.’

She claims as she recovered after the surgery she got a call from her employer’s human resources department saying her contract was terminated because she had taken too much sick leave.

Dr Torrejimeno, who qualified in Madrid in 2005, was working on a self-employed basis at the clinic when the incident happened. She said she has received a card and flowers from Dr Torrejimeno following her surgery

Dr Torrejimeno apologised for the ‘unfortunate incident’. Adding: ‘I would like to apologise once again to Ms. Snary that the treatment did not go as expected. ‘I always aim to provide the best possible care to all patients and have taken steps to ensure that something like this does not occur again.’


Credit: Metro

Share on Google Plus

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks For Visiting My Blog...