21 Die, 22 Hospitalised After Drinking Local Gin


Twenty-one people have died in Cameroon after consuming an alcoholic beverage known to be highly toxic, BBC Afrique reports. 

Another 22 people are hospitalised in the eastern town of Abong-Bang after drinking Odontol, CRTV said late Tuesday. Authorities in the affected areas of eastern Cameroon banned the production and sale of the drink after the deaths.

Odontol is produced from palm wine, sugar and tree bark and sold outside of traditional shops at a low price. The alcohol content varies, and it can often be powerful. Local authorities in southern Cameroon, where the deaths occurred, have now banned the production of Odontol. 

CRTV said 18 people have died in the commune of Mindourou and three in Abong-Bang after consuming “a cursed drink called odontol“.

It said some of the victims were women.

“When I see you (my) eyes start turning,” Angeline, one of those hospitalised in Anong-Bang and who had consumed just “two glasses” of odontol, told CRTVC. 

Share on Google Plus

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks For Visiting My Blog...