|NIGERI'A INFORMATION MINISTER - Please note that this is not a swap. It is a release, the product of painstaking negotiations and trust on both sides.|
Mr Lai Mohammed said;
Please note that this is not a swap. It is a release, the product of painstaking negotiations and trust on both sides.
He also said that today's announcement raised the prospect of recovering the 197 girls who are still missing: We see this as a credible first step in the eventual release of all the Chibok Girls in captivity."
Below is the full text of his media brief:
'Gentlemen of the press, good afternoon. We have called this press conference at a very short notice to brief you on the latest development in the saga of the abducted Chibok Girls'- Lai Mohammed
2. ‘We can confirm that 21 of the girls were released, safely, to us by 5.30 this Thursday morning and they were flown to Kaduna from the location of their release.'- Lai Mohammed
3. 'This is the most glaring manifestation to date of the unwavering commitment of Mr. President to secure the safe release of the girls and reunite them with their families. It is also a result of the round-the-clock efforts by the Administration to put a closure to the sad issue of the kidnap of the girls.’- Lai Mohammed
4. ‘We expect the released girls to land in Abuja shortly. Ahead of their arrival, we have assembled a team of medical doctors, psychologists, social workers, trauma experts, etc to properly examine the girls, especially because they have been in captivity for so long. They will also be adequately debriefed.’- Lai Mohammed
5. ‘We have the list of the 21 girls but we are now contacting their parents as part of the necessary verification exercise. As soon as that is concluded, we will release the names to the public’- Lai Mohammed
6. ‘Gentlemen, as we have always said, we have been working on the safe release of the girls and following all the leads available. In this instance, the moment we had a credible lead, Mr President gave the green-light to the DSS to pursue it.’-Lai Mohammed
7. ‘We can confirm that the DSS pursued the lead in collaboration with a friendly European country and a renowned international humanitarian organization. The DSS was supported by the military.’- Lai Mohammed
8. ‘As soon as the necessary confidence was built on both sides, the parties agreed on the date and the location of the release of the 21 girls. Please note that this is not a swap. It is a release, the product of painstaking negotiations and trust on both sides.’- Lai Mohammed
9. ‘We see this as a credible first step in the eventual release of all the Chibok Girls in captivity. It is also a major step in confidence-building between us as a government and the Boko Haram leadership on the issue of the Chibok Girls.’- Lai Mohammed
10. ‘We want to thank all Nigerians for their support and for never losing confidence in the ability of Mr. President to secure the safe release of our Chibok Girls.’-Lai Mohammed