The National Hajj Commission of Nigeria (NAHCON) has said that 20 Nigerian pilgrims had died so far in Saudi Arabia since the beginning of this year’s Hajj exercise. The number included the six that died in the September 11 crane crash in Makkah.
Chairman of the commission, Barrister Abdullahi Mukhtar Mohammed, said this Sunday night at the pre-Arafat stakeholders meeting at the Nigeria Consulate in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.
Mohammed said apart from the six victims of the crane crash, 14 other pilgrims died due to cardiac arrest and other ailments.
While saying that all the pilgrims that submitted valid documents to the commission for visa were airlifted to Saudi Arabia for the pilgrimage, he warned that the security situation in the Kingdom was very tight and advised pilgrims to be conscious of their movements by staying in Mecca and avoid unauthorised movement.
He advised female pilgrims to move in groups and for all pilgrims to avoid construction sites across the Kingdom including within the Grand Mosque.