One thousand soldiers were yesterday [May 25] dismissed by the Nigerian Army authorities for allegedly disobeying orders during onslaughts against Boko Haram militants in the North-East, Daily Trust gathered yesterday.
It was gathered that the soldiers were dismissed in Kaduna, Niger, Kano, Katsina, Jigawa and Sokoto States. They were among the 4,500 soldiers pencilled down by the authorities following the hiccup in the army last year in operations against the militants.
The affected soldiers said another set of 1,500 soldiers would be sacked today, (Tuesday) in continuation of the mass exercise.
“It was the army authorities that said over 4,500 soldiers would be dismissed for running from war fronts during the fight militants in Mubi, Adamawa State. The case has been pending but suddenly yesterday, they sacked 1,000 of us. Kaduna has the highest number with about 400, followed by Minna which has 300 and the remaining are from Kano and other northern states,” a soldier said.
He alleged that the army authorities decided to sack them in order to cause confusion in the country.
“They want us to stage protests and cause confusion but we will not, we are appealing to the new administration to probe our sack because what we did was the right thing then. We ran because we were being killed like fowls,” another soldier said from one of the affected barracks.
They expressed shock over the acquittal of their Brigade Commander, one Colonel Victor, last Friday. Efforts to get the spokesman of 3rd Brigade in Kano, Captain Ikechukwu Eze, failed as he was not answering his calls.