Islamic Cleric ‘Alfa’ Runs Mad, Dies In Lagos After Drinking Herbal Mixture

FESTAC area; Taiye
| credits:, Samson Folarin
An Islamic cleric, Taiye Bamidele, fondly called Alfa, has died after consuming herbal mixure in the FESTAC area of Lagos State. The 24-year-old was said to have first acted strangely and behaved violently before dying on Saturday.

A day to the incident he had complained to his friend, Akintunde Akinwunmi, that he was ill. Akinwunmi was said to have gone to a herb vendor around the area, who sold the herbal mixture to him. It was learnt that shortly after taking the concoction, he started laughing hysterically.
He reportedly died soon after. The matter was said to have been reported at the FESTAC Police Division. It was later transferred to the Department of Criminal Investigation, Yaba. The police had arrested Akinwunmi and the herb seller.
A police source said Taiye was resident in Ondo State and had come to Lagos on a visit when tragedy struck. He said, “There are three friends involved in this case. The deceased lived in Ondo State, while the other two are living in Lagos.
“The two in Lagos travelled to Ondo to join Taiye for the naming ceremony of another friend, who was living in Idi-Iroko. All the three friends returned to Lagos on Thursday, last week. The following day, which was Friday, Taiye said he had a stomach upset and they went to get him some herbs to treat the ailment.” It was learnt that he was served a mixture of jedi-jedi and ‘small leaf’ which were soaked in alcohol.
After the victim took the drink, he started acting strangely. A relative said his friends stated that he was laughing hysterically and talking out of senses. PUNCH correspondent was told that he gave up the ghost early Saturday morning.
The herb seller, Bilikisu Ayilara, said she did not know anything about the death of the victim. She said, “I have been selling herbs for a long time and I have never had problems. “I don’t know the man that died. His friend usually patronised me. He came that day and said his friend had a stomach upset. “I gave him jedi-jedi and small leaf and that was all. It was later I learnt the man who took it ran mad and died. I am innocent.”
The victim’s father, Olaiya, appealed to the police to release his son’s corpse to him. He said he was not ready to pursue a case against the suspects. He said, “I don’t think it was the herb that killed my son. Although he did not have any mental problem before coming to Lagos with his friends, he died because it was his fate. “All I am interested in is for the police to release the corpse of my son to me and release the suspects.”

Share on Google Plus


Post a Comment

Thanks For Visiting My Blog...