Pages

Monday, April 16, 2012

Generator Fumes Kill 95-Year-Old & His Three Grandchildren In Anambra State

Residents of Urum community of Awka North Local Government Area of Anambra State were awoken on Sunday [Apr. 15] to the news of the death of a 95-year-old man, Chief Sopulu Nwankwo, and three of his grandchildren.

The four deceased along with a female survivor reportedly went to bed on Saturday night leaving their generator on. The other casualties were Chigozie Nwajideobi (7), Dubem Nwajideobi (13) and Favour Nwankwo (7).

An in-law to the old man, Mr. Charles Nwajideobi, whose two sons were among the dead explained that his sons often slept in their grandfather’s house to watch movies and football matches.

Nwajideobi said he had come in the morning to pick his sons only to discover that the doors were still locked, while his knocks were not answered.

He said it was when he used the spare key in his possession to open the door that he found the four corpses and his daughter, Ogochukwu, who was struggling to breathe.

She was rushed to a hospital in Awka for medical attention.

Though many attributed the death to carbon monoxide poisoning from the generator fumes, some villagers, including Nwajideobi suspected they were poisoned because of the foam coming out of their mouths.

Ogochukwu Nwajideobi was placed on a life support machine at the hospital. The doctor treating her case, E.I Onwubuya, could not confirm if the girl’s condition was as a result of inhalation of the generator fumes but observed that it could lead to death.

PUNCH could not reach Police Public Relations Officer, Mr. Emeka Chukwuemeka, to confirm the incident but a police source at Achalla, who craved anonymity, confirmed the incident.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks For Visiting My Blog...

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...